I am an anthropologist with in interest in health policy, particuarly at a global level. My research is on the World Health Organization from an ethnographic perspective.
I am also interested in HIV policy and reproductive health in Sweden, and have researched on violence again health workers.
About the research
In my research, I take an ethnographic approach to analysing health policy, particuarly at a global level.
My current project focusses on Sweden's relationship with the World Health Organization (WHO). I have also carried out research on violence again health care in humanitarian crises. My PhD is in social anthropology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
- Irwin, R. (2014). Global Health Diplomacy and the World Health Organization : a ‘social drama'. London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. Dissertation.
- Irwin, R. & Smith, R. (2019). Rituals of global health : Negotiating the World Health Assembly. Global Public Health, 14, 161-174. Taylor & Francis.
- Herzig Van Wees, S., Målqvist, M. & Irwin, R. (2018). Achieving the SDGs through interdisciplinary research in global health. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health1999-01-01+01:00. Taylor & Francis.
- Patel, P., Gibson-Fall, F., Sullivan, R. & Irwin, R. (2017). Documenting attacks on health workers and facilities in armed conflicts. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 95, 79-81. World Health Organization.
- Foghammar, L., Jang, S., Kyzy, G. A., Weiss, N., Sullivan, K. A., Gibson-Fall, F. & Irwin, R. (2016). Challenges in researching violence affecting health service delivery in complex security environments. Social Science and Medicine, 162, 219-226. Elsevier.
- Smith, R. L. & Irwin, R. (2016). Measuring success in global health diplomacy : lessons from marketing food to children in India. Globalization and Health, 12, 28-28. BioMed Central.
- Galsworthy, M. J., Irwin, R., Charlesworth, K., Ernst, K., Hristovski, D., Wismar, M. & Mckee, M. (2014). An analysis of subject areas and country participation for all health-related projects in the EU's FP5 and FP6 programmes. European Journal of Public Health, 24, 514-520. Oxford University Press.
- Galsworthy, M. J., Hristovski, D., Lusa, L., Ernst, K., Irwin, R., Charlesworth, K., Wismar, M. & Mckee, M. (2012). Academic output of 9 years of EU investment into health research. The Lancet, 380, 971-972. Elsevier Limited.
- Charlesworth, K., Galsworthy, M. J., Ernst, K., Irwin, R., Wismar, M. & Mckee, M. (2011). Health research in the European Union : over-controlled but under-measured?. European Journal of Public Health, 21, 404-406. Oxford University Press.
- Ernst, K., Irwin, R., Galsworthy, M. J., Mckee, M., Charlesworth, K. & Wismar, M. (2010). Difficulties of tracing health research funded by the European Union. Journal of Health Services Research and Policy, 15, 133-136. SAGE Publications Ltd.